Global Food Wastage

Kenya has a population of 53 Million people and with an annual growth rate of 3%. 75% of the Kenyan population lives in the rural areas mainly relying on agricultural activities for their food and livelihood while the rest of the population (25%) resides in the urban areas with most (over 39%) living in Nairobi, where they are principally buyers of foodstuffs, rarely producing their own food.

Approximately 10% of Kenyans are said to be food insecure and upto 30%  of the food insecure are located in the urban and peri-urban centres, making urban food insecurity and poverty a major concern to policy makers and development agents.

Making food available to all Kenyans is one of government priorities and some of the key challenges to food provision include low local supply, post harvest losses, restrictions on food imports and poverty.

From consumption and expenditure surveys, households in urban are shown to spend the largest proportion of their budget on food



Especially Maize, Rice.





Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes



Especially Beef, Poultry

Not only Farmiken want to change the situation

FAO is committed to meeting the the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, including the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This commitment is echoed in the Kenya’s Vision 2030, which provides the policy framework for development and poverty reduction. Under the social pillar of the Vision, the government is committed to providing a high quality life for all its citizens by 2030. Other policies that are aimed at improving the food and nutrition security and general well being of Kenyans, for instance the Agricultural Sector Development Strategy (ASDS), the Food and Nutrition Security Policy
amongst others, are hinged on this policy framework.